You’ve heard of Taco Tuesday but today I’m bringing you Fajita Friday!! Vegetarian Style!
A fajita is a popular Mexican dish that traditionally features grilled meat and sautéed vegetables wrapped in a flour or corn tortilla. However, only using vegetables is not only acceptable, it is just as delicious! *wink*
Today I am bringing you one of my fajita recipes to add to your list of simple vegetarian food options. This recipe includes white mushrooms which can be used as a meat substitute because of their texture and high absorbency of flavors. I never really cared for mushrooms until I reached adulthood but now I use them often because of these traits. It’s a great addition that helps this vegetarian dish not only be tasty, but fulfilling!
This is a simple and tasty dish to make and I hope you enjoy it! Happy Friday!
Prep: 20 – 25 minutes
Serving size: 2 fajitas
Servings: 4 (8 fajitas)
– 8 small flour tortillas
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– 8 large white mushrooms, chopped
– 2 – 3 bell peppers of your choice (red, yellow, orange, and/or green), seeded and sliced
– 1 large white onion, sliced
– 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (use 2 if you like spicy food like me 😉 lol)
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 cup romaine lettuce or kale
– 1/2 avocado, sliced
– 1 tomato, chopped
– 1 fresh lemon or lime
– seasonings: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp all purpose seasoning, Mexican style tajín seasoning (optional) *measurements can vary based on your needs/preference*
Now mind you, I’m the kind of cook that doesn’t always measure out the seasonings that I use. My senses and – as a friend recently put it – the spirits of my ancestors tell me when the food is good and ready. So take that with a grain of salt (pun intended)!
– 1/2 cup shredded cheese
– sour cream
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, adding garlic and hot peppers and allowing them to sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add your mushrooms, sweet peppers, and onions, allowing them to cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until they appear fully cooked. Stir regularly and add seasoning as desired to taste.
3. In a separate non-greased skillet over medium heat, place tortillas one by one, turning them frequently, until they are soft and hot. Be sure not to let them burn but allow them to get toasty to your liking.
4. Serve right away, with warm tortillas, sauteed veggies, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc. Squeeze lemon/lime juice on your fajitas and avocados for extra flavor!
One thought on “Fajita Fridays! (Vegetarian Style)”